051: Nostalgic Textbook

Monday, August 31, 2009





Or maybe the word nostalgia is not relevant anymore in this new cutting edge millennium (whatever I meant, :-P ). Old skool... Yeah, that's the term we use today. Old... Skool... Thanks to my classmate, KY, he updated his Twitter with the link to the above movie, The Teenage Textbook Movie. Damn, this brings back memories.

Maybe some of you don't know about this movie. Still too young? (They never play on TV meh?) Anyway, this movie was released when I was in Secondary One (yeah, 11 years ago). No need for me to be a reviewer and write what this movie is all about. All I will say is that it was adapted from the book The Teenage Textbook by Adrian Tan. He was an NUS undergraduate when he wrote the book in 1988 (correct me if I'm wrong, and no, I didn't type the year by mistake. Written in 1988). It's all about the life (or should I say, love life) of a bunch of teens in a JC and etc etc etc... It was one of the top grossing movie, beating some Hollywood flicks at that time.

The main star, Melody Chen, was cute, and still is. I saw her in my apartment's lift (yes, in my fucking lift!!!), and she got me all melting. With her tanned skin, she was hot!!!

Now I wonder... What is happening to the local movie scene? (Please, don't talk about Jack Neo please!) Now, when we think of local movies, those arty farty kind comes to mind. Okay, maybe there are a few commercial type like One Leg Kicking or The Leap Years. But that's it? (Don't tell me those chinese languaged titles, not counted. I need to read subtitles to enjoy it, which sucks). Give us more English language movie please! With no Chinese, Malay, or Indian dialogues in it!

The Teenage Textbook Movie was probably the first movie that released a soundtrack that only include music by local musicians and singers, which was cool. The song No More Tears written by John Klass and sung by Beverly (whatserlastname) really reminds me of my puberty years, :-P

Can anybody help me get the soundtrack please!

-------------------------------

Lyrics taken from http://www.secretzreality.com/2008/05/teenage-textbook-soundtrack.html
Link to the song: http://www.imeem.com/people/wk9EHFz/music/BisyLuGJ/beverly-no-more-tears

No more tears
by beverly


isn't it amazing
how seventeen can be
isn't it so exciting
just like romance novel’s scenes

colourful pictures on the wall
always waiting for the telephone call
a cry in the dark
a broken heart
a first-time kiss
I've seen it all

I'm finally leaving
nothing left to fear
its so worth believing
I see it all so clear
its more than a disc or books
it goes on and on and on and on, oh yeah
this time I'm finally giving
no more tears

isn't just a wonder
how life sometimes turns out
wouldn't it be so perfect
if all things came without doubt

colourful pictures on the wall
always waiting for the telephone call
a cry in the dark
a broken heart
a first-time kiss
I've seen it all

I'm finally leaving
nothing left to fear
its so worth believing
I see it all so clear
this time I'm giving
everything I've got
wanna believe in myself
its more than a disc or books
it goes on and on and on and on, oh yeah
this time I'm finally giving
no more tears

0 Comment here.: